Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm Tired




I am tired of being told that I am not beautiful 
because I do not look like the models 
in fashion magazines and on television. 
I’m sick and tired of being told that 
I’m not beautiful if I don’t wear the 
latest bra that forces my breasts upward 
and inward to create an illusion of 
youthful perky breasts. 
Never mind that it is highly uncomfortable 
and bad for your health.
I am beautiful as I am. 
I am the shape that was gifted. 
My breasts are no longer perky and upright 
like when I was a teenager. 
My hips are wider than that of a fashion model’s. 
For this I am glad, for these 
are the signs of a life lived. 
My breasts are not perky and have 
the streaks of stretch marks on them. 
These are signs that I nourished my children here. 
I bonded with them here. 
My hips are wider, but I consider this a blessing. 
I’m thankful for these hips. 
They have allowed me to birth my children with ease.
I am tired of how this society worships youth. 
I am not twenty any more and 
have the knowledge of life’s experiences. 
I have gained the wisdom and knowledge 
to be able to make good decisions in my life.